Friday, October 23, 2009

Fall in the Midwest

The leaves are changing colors here in the Midwest. This brings with it many different opinions. There are a number of people who travel great distances to view the beauty that Mother Nature bestows upon us annually. On one occasion I was in Columbus, Indiana for training and as part of our experience there we were taken to dinner on a tour bus. Part of the dinner plans included a trip through an area just so we could view the fall colors the area had to offer. Admiration of the many fall colors is one perspective of what Autumn has to offer… the other side is the task of what to do with all the leaves after they have lost their pretty colors, have turned to brown and have covered the lawn. I have talked to a few people who don’t worry about the leaves, they feel that eventually they will blow into a neighbor’s yard and then the neighbor can worry about them. Most of my friends and family take the other approach of gathering them all up to either use in a compost pile or where permitted burning them. Growing up in the Midwest I fondly remember as a child using the piles of leaves to play in. It would occupy us for hours, raking the leaves into what seemed like enormous piles and then taking turns jumping into them. My parents, of course, didn’t quite get the same enjoyment from the activity. In those days our family didn’t have a leaf blower. The job of removing the leaves from the lawn entailed many hours and a few hand blisters by my parents. Now as an adult I am lucky to have my handy Echo PB-460LN Quiet 1 leaf blower which makes the Fall task enjoyable again. I now have a grandson that I will enjoy watching scatter the leaves that I have blown into a pile simply for his entertainment. I will relive my childhood memories through watching him play in the toy that nature has provided him. If I were to have to go back to the rake for this activity I would probably not be looking so forward to it. Remember to enjoy the wonders you are provided and take the time to treasure the memories that you are able make.
Tara Funneman - Office Manager at lawneq, Division of Bahrns Equipment, Inc. - where you can fulfill all your lawn and garden equipment and parts needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment